Real estate transactions are one of the biggest financial investments most people experience in their lifetime. Considering the small upside cost and the large downside risk, it would be foolish to consider a deal in real estate without the professional assistance of a REALTOR®.
Here are a dozen reasons why you should use a REALTOR®:
1. Your REALTOR® can help you determine your buying power. A REALTOR® can help you determine your financial reserves plus your borrowing capacity.
2. Your REALTOR® has many resources to assist you in your home search. Your REALTOR® can actively investigate all available properties.
3. Your REALTOR® can assist you in the selection process by providing objective information about each property. Agents who are REALTORS® can provide local community information on utilities, zoning. schools, etc.
4. Your REALTOR® can help you negotiate. There are myriad of negotiating factors, including but not limited to, price, financing, terms, date of possession and often the inclusion or exclusion of repairs and furnishings or equipment.
5. Your REALTOR® provides due diligence during the evaluation of the property Depending on the area and property, this could include inspections for termites, dry rot, asbestos, faulty structure, roof condition, septic tank and well tests, just to name a few. Your REALTOR® can assist you in finding qualified responsible professionals to do most of these investigations and provide you with written reports.
6. Your REALTOR® can help you understand different financing options and to identify qualified lenders.
7. Your REALTOR® can guide you through the closing process and make sure everything flows together smoothly.
8. When selling your home, your REALTOR® can give you up-to-date information on what is happening in the marketplace and the price, financing, terms and conditions of competing properties. These are key factors in getting your property sold at the best price, quickly and with minimum hassle.
9. Your REALTOR® markets your property to other real estate agents and the public. Your REALTOR® acts as the marketing coordinator, disbursing information about your property to other real estate agents through a Multiple Listing Service or other cooperative marketing networks, open houses for agents, etc. The REALTOR® Code of Ethics requires REALTORS® to utilize these cooperative relationships when they benefit their clients.
10. Your REALTOR® will know when, where and how to advertise your property. Your REALTOR® will generally prescreen and accompany qualified prospects through your property.
11. Your REALTOR® can help you objectively evaluate every buyer's proposal without compromising your marketing position. Your REALTOR® can help you write a legally-binding, win-win agreement that will be more likely to make it through the process.
12. Your REALTOR® can help close the sale of your home. Your REALTOR® is the best person to objectively help you resolve issues and move the transaction to closing (or settlement).